Friday, February 12, 2016

January 24, 2016: My Diabetic Tool Kit

As a parent, when your child is born, you look down at that small little face and you can see the entire world resting in your arms. You look at that child and all you can do is imagine the life their going to have. Who are they going to be? Of course we all think our kid is going to be the next biggest thing and they're going to change the world. I started having contractions with Duncan at 4:30 in the morning. My husband did not want to go to work that day he wanted to stick around and get me to the hospital. I told him he only worked 7 minutes away, I would be fine but to make sure he had someone to take over when I called him. My contractions came closer and closer, and I called my parents who were living 2 miles down the street. They came up picked up my other two boys, and took me down to their house where I met my husband and he rushed me to the hospital. My water broke on the I-15 northbound freeway, and we were about 5 minutes from the hospital when Duncan started crowning, he was almost born in the car on the side of the road. Thanks to all the lights being green, and my husband's safe driving we made it to the hospital just in time for me to get into a bed, and deliver our perfect baby boy.


When I looked down at the precious face, I knew he was going to be a force to be reckoned with when he got older. All we want for our children even if they end up working at a gas station their entire life is that they are happy, and healthy. I know Ted Bundy's mom didn't look down at him as a baby and say "I just know you are going to be one of the world's most infamous serial killers" she wanted him to be a force to be reckoned with. I never thought my boy would end up with an illness that would change all of our entire lives.

Last week we were all sick. We all (except my husband who has the immune system of Superman) had this croupy gross cough that went through the entire family. Duncan's blood sugars were scary high! At one point I went to check his blood glucose and his meter just read "HI". In the middle of the day he would have scary lows, in the 42 to the 50 range. When most kids get sick you just give them plenty of liquids, and make sure they get plenty of sleep. What do you do when you're diabetic son gets sick? I can't give him juice when he throws up anymore to keep sugar in his system, and I have to make sure he's eating at least enough carbs to give him 1/2 a unit of insulin...


This is my diabetic tool kit. Everything I need to keep with me wherever I go. I checked him for keytones again when he was really high, still nothing, and made sure he had plenty of juice when he had a low. 

We all know how hard it is to get a toddler to eat. Most moms have the luxury of saying "ok I guess you're just not hungry right now, you can eat later." I can't do that with Duncan, I have to make sure he eats at least something. Sometimes it's like pulling teeth, and sometimes all he want's to do is eat. I know as he gets older he'll understand more why I have to make him eat something, and he'll understand more why I have to give him 4 shots a day to keep him alive. Yes you read that right, Duncan gets 4 shots a day. One for his 24 hour insulin and one at every meal. If he ends up eating a snack that is 10 carbs or over he has to have another shot. So on average Duncan gets 4 shots a day, 28 shots a week, 112 shots a month 1,460 shots a year. That is not even counting all the finger pricks he gets everyday to check his sugar levels. 


It really is awful when my boy isn't feeling well. There's not a lot I can do but let him ride it out. I can't give him much medicine unless it's sugar free, and it's frustrating when his glucose isn't stable. He gets really clingy which is normal for a toddler, so we got to spend the morning last Sunday watching "Hercules" on Netflix. 


No comments:

Post a Comment