Wednesday, April 26, 2017

It's Been Way Too Long

It's been too long since I've written. I started this as a way to help me cope with my son's diabetes. I thought maybe if another mother found this, it might make her feel better, like she wasn't alone when it felt like her world was crashing down around her. Honestly, Duncan's diagnosis changed my world forever. It changed my family forever. Not just my family unit (husband and other children), but also my parents and siblings and my husband's parents and siblings. I can't just call a babysitter to watch my children so my husband and I can go out for date night, I have to make sure it's a person I would trust with my own life, because ultimately I'm trusting that person with Duncan's life.

Before diabetes I never had to think, read, or do the math for food I bought. I never had to think twice about trick or treating, baking Christmas cookies, or going to family parties. Now I check nutritional facts, look up serving sizes, and I have to add, subtract, multiply, and divide, just to make sure Duncan has the right things to eat and the right amount of insulin. I have gone to church parties and looked through the trash just to find out what brand of rolls they used for the Halloween dinner. I have badgered family about what exactly is in the food they serve at parties. I have checked the nutritional facts on something, thrown the box away and then had to retrieve it again because I forgot what I had just read. It's exhausting, it's stressful, and now it's also second nature. I make announcements at family parties to remind everyone NOT TO FEED THE YOUNG BEAR, because he will give you his cute smile and try to manipulate you into sneaking him something extra that mom hasn't counted, and I am always so grateful to my family on both my side and my husband's side for keeping an extra eye on him and making sure I know what he's eating. To his aunts and uncles, and all our parents and siblings, thank you for making my stress that much easier.

Sometimes I look at Duncan and I forget he has this disease. It's really easy to see my outgoing little boy run around the park, and forget that I have to check his sugar before I can feed him anything. There are times I get in the car and I'm about to drive away when in the back of my mind I hear "you forgot the blood sugar bag". I have to jump out and run back into the house to get it. I was told before I left the hospital on September 20, 2015, that one day all this would become second nature. Here I am almost 2 years later, and it feels like I've been dealing with it all my life, and yet I'm still learning something new everyday as well.

So WELCOME BACK to our journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment